Obedience at shows  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Obedience at shows

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

Just wondered what people think about Obedience competions at shows,

I personaly think it`s a good thing, at a show it breaks up the day a bit, and where`s the harm in having an obedient and under control dog.

Some people i think that the competitions have no relavance in the field, but i.m.o it`s the job of a lurcher to fit in with

whatever work you choose to do with it, and to do that it needs to be obedient .

And perhaps if we get a good response to this thread some show orginisers may take notice and put on a class at their shows..

Yis Mars.

I personaly think it`s a good thing, at a show it breaks up the day a bit, and where`s the harm in having an obedient and under control dog.

Some people i think that the competitions have no relavance in the field, but i.m.o it`s the job of a lurcher to fit in with

whatever work you choose to do with it, and to do that it needs to be obedient .

And perhaps if we get a good response to this thread some show orginisers may take notice and put on a class at their shows..

Yis Mars.

i say yes!! love doing it with my lurcher even if we are lousy at it! ;)

Glad You put this thread up one of the things that is new to our show this Year, will be Lurcher obedience,I personally think it is a good thing,it shows how trainable & adaptable a lurcher can be I would like to ask a further question in what would You suggest the set tasks should be i.e. retrieving walking to heel of the lead,

Yis Mars.

Mmmmm - An interesting point. Well worth consideration.

Would be amusing to see some terriers trying to be obiedient too! (I'm sure most are - just not mine... they think anything is worth a slap!) :o

Glad You put this thread up one of the things that is new to our show this Year, will be Lurcher obedience,I personally think it is a good thing,it shows how trainable & adaptable a lurcher can be I would like to ask a further question in what would You suggest the set tasks should be i.e. retrieving walking to heel of the lead,

I noticed that you`d got Obedience on at that show & i`ve got my pitch booked for the campsite...

Now i`me not saying that my mutts are any good at obedience but good enough to be "ok" in the field.... i don't reckon the tasks should be all that difficult, as you`ve said above, walk to heel, retrieving,chuck in a jump perhaps a blind stay & maybe run a lure across in front of the dog to see if it can be stopped/called off...

All things I.M.O. that could be a reasonable Fun test for a lurcher.., with the emphasis on Fun...

Yis Mars...

Guest rodsmith

the one thing that shouldnt be allowed at a show are those Cu-ting flexi leads.i swear the next time i get wrapped up by one il either cut it or tie it tightly round the dogs neck. :angry2:

the one thing that shouldnt be allowed at a show are those Cu-ting flexi leads.i swear the next time i get wrapped up by one il either cut it or tie it tightly round the dogs neck. :angry2:

Hate those contraptions :angry: Shouldn't wrap it round the dogs neck tho ... it's the two legged idiots controlling the stupid thing what want stringing up :laugh:

I think it should be compulsory but unfortunately the ring would be mostly empty because the vast majority wouldn't know how to train a dog properly in the first place :blink:

do you do any obedience comps yourself T.R. ???

Mars..

Oh well it seems that most people are not interested in obedience at shows, ;)

I`de of thought that even those of you that are Anti showing would be Pro obedience, as at least people would be doing something constructive with their dogs...

Perhaps it is how it seems to the bunny huggers, were all just thugs that just point our dogs at those poor defenceless rabbits and expect our dogs to kill kill kill, :o

I prefer to think that their is more too our game than that, and that includes having a dog under some degree of control... :yes:

Yours in sport :hmm: Mars..