about two years ago a new keeper moved in to the house down the road and he is a miserible sod .

my kid and my nethew who are aged 3 and 11 were walking our old whippet who can hardly walk let alone run on the footpath doin no harm when he pulled up and told them to f#*king stop letting that mut chase my birds or i will shoot it.witch scared them to death they came home crying .so i went to have a word but got about as much welcome as aids he was just ignerant.enyway his terrier was in my chickien run the other day and had killed 6 with one in his mouth so gess what i shot it now he is going mad and said i had no right to do it and i did it to it to get back at him but i did not as i didnt know it was his dog

do you think i was in the wrong.what would you have done in that situation

for starters what the fook are you doing letting an 11 year old child look after a 3 year old,.......and then you shoot another mans dog over a few chickens,.,....your a fool....and some of the replys ..people saying he did the right thing your fooking fools too......but to be honest more i read it the more it sounds like another peter fooking pan story.....what a crock of shit......

Its almost as believable as a JPTfellterier special :whistling:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt have cos now he will be looking for your dog all the time now to return the favour apart from which i would have taken his dog back told him you want recompensed for the chooks and warned him first.It may be borderline for you being charged all he has to do is claim harassment or you threatened him and a whole can of worms is now opened.

about two years ago a new keeper moved in to the house down the road and he is a miserible sod .

my kid and my nethew who are aged 3 and 11 were walking our old whippet who can hardly walk let alone run on the footpath doin no harm when he pulled up and told them to f#*king stop letting that mut chase my birds or i will shoot it.witch scared them to death they came home crying .so i went to have a word but got about as much welcome as aids he was just ignerant.enyway his terrier was in my chickien run the other day and had killed 6 with one in his mouth so gess what i shot it now he is going mad and said i had no right to do it and i did it to it to get back at him but i did not as i didnt know it was his dog

do you think i was in the wrong.what would you have done in that situation

I think you have made your own bed. Now lie in it. He was probably mouthing off about you shooting your dog. I would have gone and seen him and told not to scare my kids. The poults are well penned, no reason for your whippet ever to get in there. So unlikely he was ever going to shoot your dog.

You just shot a dog over 6 poxy chickens. What sort of cruel bast4rd are you? The dog just aint been trained properly, surely you must have had the gumption to realise it was most likely a local dog. You have just missed the perfect opportunity to get one up on the keeper. You could have been the bigger man and he would have owed you.

Now you have revenge coming, if someone shot one of my dogs over something as poxy as a chicken (though mine are stock broken) then I would make their life HELL.

i would of shot the dog if it killed my stock chickens or not it will do it again if it had the chance, i think the owner of stock has the right to protect them and if it was a fox that had killed the chickens then i think everybody would say take the fox out so whats the difference. this is just my view on things.

Sounds like a fairytale to me.. :yes:

However, it's funny how the morals change with some folk on here. You see a post about farmers/keepers shooting dogs and the usual truckload of vented spleens that goes with it, then when something like this appears, it was 'The right thing to do.' Hypocrites. :yes:

Dont really see the point in coming on here and blabbing about shooting another blokes dog........bit sad really!

So what if it killed 6 chooks, they are cheap enough to replace........you could have made a positive out of it by just taking the animal back and telling him what happened........hey presto, he is in your debt and you could have done well out of it one way or another.

Now, I would say you are fecked local.........and all for 6 poxy chooks and the chance to be billy big bollocks ;)

wilf beat me to it, you have to think farther than your imedeate anger, ;) and look at the big picture .

Legally and morally this all sounds very dodgy.

Legally, you are only entitled to shoot a dog as a last resort if they are in the act of worrying livestock. If you could have walked into the pen and caught the dog then you have broken the law.

Morally, why should the dog pay the price for the owner?

Often children misunderstand or exagerate a conversation like the one they are alleged to have had with the keeper. If he said something like "please keep that dog on a lead as we have a pheasant pen nearby, and if he escapes and runs riot he may be shot" it can easily change to "keep that fecking dog on a lead or I'll shoot it" by the time they get home to daddy.

As others have suggested, it would have been better to catch the dog and return it to the keeper. You may have developed better relations with him then. As it is, I would watch your back from here on in.

I like the way people are saying 'just a few chickens'. Just because chickens arn't worth shit to most doesn't mean they arnt to this lad, what if it had a bigger dog killing terriers having broke into your kennel, i think people opinions maybe different. Also, yeh he went one step further than the keeper did and actually shot the keepers dog but at least he had justification, the keeper had no justification for threatening to shoot his dog. Not saying i would have done the same, but in a situation like that you just act and unless i was in that situation i couldn't say what i would do. I sure as hell wouldn't shoot the dog out of anger or revenge, revenge is something best directed at the owner, not the dog. But if by shooting the dog it stops any further killing of MY livestock then i would probably pull the trigger.

I would have shot the dog if it was killing any of my stock, never mind it being the keepers dog. What would happen if it was savageing a young child would you stand by and let it. Fishkeeper :D

Why would a dog that kills chickens or any other animals be dangerous to children?

Some of the best terriers I've known would never harm a child.

People really need to think before typing crap like this.

I will repeat (for the hard of thinking) you ARE NOT allowed to shoot dogs except as a 'last resort' (i.e. after you've tried to catch it, or stop it some other way).

I would have shot the dog if it was killing any of my stock, never mind it being the keepers dog. What would happen if it was savageing a young child would you stand by and let it. Fishkeeper :D

Why would a dog that kills chickens or any other animals be dangerous to children?

I will repeat (for the hard of thinking) you ARE NOT allowed to shoot dogs except as a 'last resort' (i.e. after you've tried to catch it, or stop it some other way).

Not doubting your knowledge on this one, but do you have a point of reference for your statement?

I was in Wales last St Georges day and came accross a sign that said quite clearly that "any dog seen off a lead will be shot on sight". Surely then that would be an illegal sign and you would have recourse if your dog happened to get shot.....................personally, although my dog is stock broken he's still a pup and I wouldn't risk taking him off the lead. I care to much to chance a brush with an irate/ignorant/trigger happy farmer/keeper.

Rgds

Swampy

ninging in the valleys that month

Not doubting your knowledge on this one, but do you have a point of reference for your statement?

I was in Wales last St Georges day and came accross a sign that said quite clearly that "any dog seen off a lead will be shot on sight". Surely then that would be an illegal sign and you would have recourse if your dog happened to get shot.....................personally, although my dog is stock broken he's still a pup and I wouldn't risk taking him off the lead. I care to much to chance a brush with an irate/ignorant/trigger happy farmer/keeper.

Rgds

Swampy

ninging in the valleys that month

Point of reference is the Animals Act 1971 Section 9 (1)

provides a defence in any civil proceedings to the killing or injuring of a dog worrying livestock, if the court is satisfied that the defendant acted for the protection of any livestock, if the defendant acted for the protection of any livestock and was a person entitled to do so; and that the police were notified of the killing within forty-eight hours.

Section 9 (3) (4) goes on:

a person may only act for the protection of any livestock if, and only if, he has reasonable grounds to believe that either:

1. The dog is worrying or is about to worry the livestock and there are no other reasonable means of ending or preventing the worrying, or
  2. The dog has been worrying livestock, has not left the vicinity and is not under the control of any person and there are no practicable means for ascertaining to whom it belongs.

Someone threatening (by placing a sign up) to shoot any dog not on a lead would be commiting other offences, and should be reported to the authorities.

In this case, ownership was known, and it seems that no other attempt to stop the 'worrying' was carried out. The dog should have been recovered, and civil proceedings should have easily recovered damages without the need to shoot anything.

If the police were not informed within 48 hours of the killing, then it was not legal.

sometimes i wonder :no: if it was a fox no one would give a toss, he stated he didn't know at the time who's dog it was. to be honest if i walked out the house and saw a cat killing my fezzers or a dog killing me chickens i'd barrel 'em without a thought if my gun was to hand. but if not, my first instinct would be to grabb the f#cker and stop the killing. the terrier was obviously in the zone if it's had six you can bet your nuts it'll have the rest if left to it. if your dog killed his poults he'd do the same.