just curious

I did wilf,both my bitches parents were/are(sire died at work)proven earth dogs with many digs under their belts.Not getting into a row and speaking from my own point but i don't have unlimited earthwork but a little so i wanted a dog that i could ferret,mooch,rat and dig with and my plummers tick all these boxes with me.I can spend a morning ratting and then a afternoon ferreting with no worries for the ferrets safety,have a dig when somethings at home or just have them running rough flushing to the runners.So for me it was there all round caperbilities being the reason i opted for this breed.

See, that is an honest post..........fair enough ;)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did wilf,both my bitches parents were/are(sire died at work)proven earth dogs with many digs under their belts.Not getting into a row and speaking from my own point but i don't have unlimited earthwork but a little so i wanted a dog that i could ferret,mooch,rat and dig with and my plummers tick all these boxes with me.I can spend a morning ratting and then a afternoon ferreting with no worries for the ferrets safety,have a dig when somethings at home or just have them running rough flushing to the runners.So for me it was there all round caperbilities being the reason i opted for this breed.

See, that is an honest post..........fair enough ;)

Wilf. I think I said much the same in the topic I posted a while back. FAO FIREMAN (and the debate that followed)

Ref to "nose" the Plummer I have left I thought had an exceptional nose untill I shot a fox the other day.

It fell in a pond, both my dogs went mad on the scent. The Plummer followed the heal line, the Russell pup swam out and retrieved it from under the water.

Now that's a nose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by steviemann
im not slating the plummer one bit as ive never owned one OR seen one work but my question is- if the breed is all what everyone says about them,then why do more people not use them as an earth terrier??

all i ever hear of them doing is ratting,have never heard someone say "such and such has a decent plummer that works to ground."

just what i thought while reading this post.never heard of any lines of plummer terrier with high % of usefull earth dogs been produced are they kept secret passed between close diggin pals for free ect, or is the % of good plummers produced quite low with regards to earth work, they seem to excel at ratting from what i am told but i have no experience of the breed.
im not slating the plummer one bit as ive never owned one OR seen one work but my question is- if the breed is all what everyone says about them,then why do more people not use them as an earth terrier??

all i ever hear of them doing is ratting,have never heard someone say "such and such has a decent plummer that works to ground."

just what i thought while reading this post.never heard of any lines of plummer terrier with high % of usefull earth dogs been produced are they kept secret passed between close diggin pals for free ect, or is the % of good plummers produced quite low with regards to earth work, they seem to excel at ratting from what i am told but i have no experience of the breed.

I think IMO, and it was the same for me that MOST who buy a Plummer just want a ratting rabbiting pet.(sorry if I've insulted some) but then some as was the case for me get into "proper" terrier work. Some make the grade but not as many compared to the pupose bred working lines going back many generations proper earth dogs out there. Now no more please. :boredom:

What is the big hang up with Plummer owners about if they do real terrier work, they were never bred to do real terrier work, they were bred to go ratting with........if you want a rat dog then you could do worse than own a Plummer.

Whats the big deal with you lot, if you want an earth dog then get something that fits the bill from proven digging dogs, if you want a Plummer to go ratting with then own a Plummer........easy in it!!

:D:D

IMO.

1 Plummer terriers are ridiculed thanks to DBP.being openly disrespectful for the past 20 years ..to those owners of other breeds.

2 The % of failed earth working Plummers would be the same as any other breed, of working terrier, if we looked at the statistics considering the numerical numbers of plummers 1000 since 1994 not a lot !..compared to all the other breeds.

3 I have owned, bred, entered and trained earth working plummer terriers both pre ban and "now" .some of my "now stock " work in ireland, where it is easier to find and work quarry but is actualy a harder enviroment to "please" the owner..so a harsher testing ground i do not work my dogs to ground anymore but have had to find ways to test them ....Some work here Stevieman had one earth worker and i reckon one not so good !

4 I reckon to have bred more Plummer terriers than anyone alive or even perhaps dead and have seen and worked more Plummers than anyone I have also bred more average types...and a lot of "so so" and some border line uesless.

5 Not all working terriers regardless of breed produce digging dogs ..I have been shown a picture in darcys book of two not so good digging terriers bred from digging dogs ...the picture was shown to me by the dogs breeder ( a pro keeper)who owns a none worker in his words!...which was not related to the those he showed me...so thats three he knows of.

6 Noses...my own Plummers do have good noses and they do find well.( I'm a pro keeper as well). but any terriers that are line bred to working stock should, produce a high % of diserable working qualities whetever those qualities are and whatever the breed is.

Proven digging dogs produce the same amount of "so so's " in any breed.

Most Plummer owners like Plummers because they like to be different whatever they say.. "I do" hence the breed is full of misfits like me !..but i like my traceable pedigrees of good all round working Plummers.

Id like to add like dbp said at lambourn lurcher show "if every terrier in england could kill a fox there would'nt be a fox left"..

Edited by AMADORE
What is the big hang up with Plummer owners about if they do real terrier work, they were never bred to do real terrier work, they were bred to go ratting with........if you want a rat dog then you could do worse than own a Plummer.

Whats the big deal with you lot, if you want an earth dog then get something that fits the bill from proven digging dogs, if you want a Plummer to go ratting with then own a Plummer........easy in it!!

IMO.

1 Plummer terriers are ridiculed thanks to DBP.being openly disrespectful for the past 20 years ..to those owners of other breeds.

2 The % of failed earth working Plummers would be the same as any other breed, of working terrier, if we looked at the statistics considering the numerical numbers of plummers 1000 since 1994 not a lot !..compared to all the other breeds.

3 I have owned, bred, entered and trained earth working plummer terriers both pre ban and "now" .some of my "now stock " work in ireland, where it is easier to find and work quarry but is actualy a harder enviroment to "please" the owner..so a harsher testing ground i do not work my dogs to ground anymore but have had to find ways to test them ....Some work here Stevieman had one earth worker and i reckon one not so good !

4 I reckon to have bred more Plummer terriers than anyone alive or even perhaps dead and have seen and worked more Plummers than anyone I have also bred more average types...and a lot of "so so" and some border line uesless.

5 Not all working terriers regardless of breed produce digging dogs ..I have been shown a picture in darcys book of two not so good digging terriers bred from digging dogs ...the picture was shown to me by the dogs breeder ( a pro keeper)who owns a none worker in his words!...which was not related to the those he showed me...so thats three he knows of.

6 Noses...my own Plummers do have good noses and they do find well.( I'm a pro keeper as well). but any terriers that are line bred to working stock should, produce a high % of diserable working qualities whetever those qualities are and whatever the breed is.

Most Plummer owners like Plummers because they like to be different whatever they say.. "I do" hence the breed is full of misfits like me !..but i like my traceable pedigrees of good all round working Plummers.

Id like to add like dbp said at lambourn lurcher show "if every terrier in england could kill a fox there would'nt be a fox left"..

"not so good?" Oh I'm just not interested anymore!

This forum does make me laugh with the amount of "Plummer Bashing" that goes off... every other week there's a thread that non-owners/people that have never even seen a picture of a plummer terrier never mind one in th flesh/or one work have started. Tis a shame that people with similar interests in terriers cannot agree to to disagree.

:clapper::clapper::clapper: you the man wilf

IMO.

Steve hows Billy doing presumed that he was a little slower than charlie, but perhaps im wrong hows he working now?

Edited by AMADORE
AMADORE IF YOU HAVE SENT PLUMMERS TO IRELAND TO BE WORKED THEY MUST BE THE BEST KEPT SECRET ON THE PLANNET??? PLUMMERS IN IRELAND MMMMM!!

Well its no secret there are some good plummers in ireland.and yes joiners too :clapper: .

As has been said before its the name thats the problem.

IMO.

Steve hows Billy doing presumed that he was a little slower than charlie, but perhaps im wrong hows he working now?

As I said previously he's only seen about a dozen so can't tell yet. He's keen enough though.

IMO.

HENCE THE BREED IS FULL OF MISFITS at least we all have some thing in common despite what breed we prefer . plenty of odd balls in the dog game,or is just our little group. :wacko: :icon_redface:

IMO.

HENCE THE BREED IS FULL OF MISFITS at least we all have some thing in common despite what breed we prefer . plenty of odd balls in the dog game,or is just our little group. :wacko: :icon_redface:

Think you've taken my reply out of context.

I was quoting no.3 " ONE NOT SO GOOD"

My " oh I'm just not interested anymore" was directed at this debate. Don't know why I bit. Shall try to keep my opinions to myself from now on.