alaunts

they have took fair bit stick the alaunts but the funny thing is half the folk slagging them have not even seen an alaunt work i think people should go out with someone that has a working alaunt and see it work before they open thare mouth and start slagging them thare just like any other breed you get good ones and bad ones but people have already made thare minds up before they even see these dogs i cant understand this

i know mate i'never seen one work so i couldn't comment but i have a staffy trained up as a gun dog and people laugh at me until they see her workin. soon shuts 'em up :D

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always thought the alaunt was around waaay before people started breeding bullx as they were medieval no? I like the look of them and they're personality no p***y will get off lightly trying to knick him!! :laugh:

Dont they have bull in them anyway?

ATB

Jordan

heres my bitch on the left and scotsmans dog on the right tied together

Picture157.jpg

and this was 2 dog pups out of them

Picture070.jpg

Picture071.jpg

this alaunt pup was roughly about 7 month in this pic he is in somerset now

Picture059.jpg

anyone who prefers the looks of the pug faced Boxer to the looks of the alaunt can't be a working dog enthusiast.

i agree they aren't the best choice for fast game, but if i'd give them a crack at hard game like bear & boar any day and i'd shell out $ for them before i would a boxer.

Guest oldskool
anyone who prefers the looks of the pug faced Boxer to the looks of the alaunt can't be a working dog enthusiast.

i agree they aren't the best choice for fast game, but if i'd give them a crack at hard game like bear & boar any day and i'd shell out $ for them before i would a boxer.

i'm only replying to hear more about your type of hunting... i read that there was alaunts in america??? do you think alaunts would be better for what you do in comparison to american bulldogs??? hines bulldogs seem to look like a very work related type?

I always thought the alaunt was around waaay before people started breeding bullx as they were medieval no? I like the look of them and they're personality no p***y will get off lightly trying to knick him!! :laugh:

ATB

Jordan

my alaunt is bullmasstiff X bullterrier/grayhound

ATB

Jordan

my alaunt is bullmasstiff X bullterrier/grayhound

so realy its just a bull greyhound crossed with a bullmasstiff

yip thats it mate the sire was a bullmasstiff and the dam was a bull/grayhound

it's wikipedia any damn fool can write any damn fool thing they want (maybe not as bad as before but still a LOT of shite on there)

the only alaunts I know of in the USA are the "american alaunts" created by Donald Stocks for personal protection dogs.

a bull type dog is useful in bear hunting if you actually want to catch the bear. most people run the bears similar to organized fox hunts and use soft dogs because they don't want to shell out for vet bills. bear doggers that prefer to catch use bull blooded hounds & curs or airedales in their packs because the harder dogs will actually stop the bear from running/walking and either force a fight on the ground or force it to tree to avoid the fight. a fair few old timers used bulldogs to actually catch the bear the same way as boar. read some of theodore roosevelt's writings. one of the guides he hunted w/ in the rocky mountains used a pure bulldog & a bullXhound in his pack and the pack CAUGHT the bears & mt lions for roosevelt to take w/ a knife. this technique was surprisingly common in the southern states prior to the war of northern aggression. obviously there is a lot of turn over in the dogs before a really good one comes along. as the opportunity allows i intend to pursue this technique myself using curs, dales, bull&mastiff breeds and bullXs of various kinds

my old catahoulaXamerican bulldog caught a large sow bear by the cheek and dragged her around a bit before she got loose and went straight up a tree. had the hounds been catchy instead of runners she would have never got up the tree. so i know it can be done.

ETA

i think the alaunts of the UK would bring something to the table same as the pitXgreys used on hogs give you something most straight bulldogs don't. the sighthoud gives them more leg & may help w/ the wind. OTH most bulldogs here aren't run nearly enough to get them good wind. if properly conditioned a good standard AB would be about equal to the alaunt. but the alaunt would be hands down superior to any pug faced bulldog to include boxers. i wouldn't put down the kind of money they are getting over there for them and then the expense of getting them over here. it wouldn't be worth it knowing full well the short life expectancy of bull & mastiff breeds on big cats & bears. but i wouldn't hesitate to emulate the mix from the same or similar breeds here.

Edited by Pops

wiki or not it still has all the info the other sites i researched had and if you look it up your self you'll see this!!! every site i saw said that they were a very ancient kind of dog nowadays they may heve ab in them or whatever but alaunts originaly did not as the yank bulldog wasn't around for the next 1500 years. ;)

I dont see any pug face or retarded boxer here.

DSC_0317-1.jpg

DSC_0336-1.jpg

Not racy lol.

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0048-1.jpg

DSC_0047-1-1.jpg

DSC_0237-2.jpg

I see alot of people putting them down because of the way some Alaunt types look.

Fook any good dog man will tell ya it has fook all to do with looks but more to do with what the dog has inside.

Edited by Chanuk

i had a well bred bullx bitch and she was very game but she never had that extra gear she needed always gave 100% everytime i tried but my alaunt has far more power and does not take the punishment that the bullx took heres my alaunt bitch

Picture214.jpg

Picture216.jpg

heres the bullx i had

Fly.jpg

fly2yearold.jpg

and heres the two of them in the kennel i dont have the white/black bitch anymore

Image032.jpg

I dont see any pug face or retarded boxer here.

DSC_0317-1.jpg

DSC_0336-1.jpg

Not racy lol.

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0048-1.jpg

DSC_0047-1-1.jpg

DSC_0237-2.jpg

I see alot of people putting them down because of the way some Alaunt types look.

Fook any good dog man will tell ya it has fook all to do with looks but more to do with what the dog has inside.

that is a beutiful dog mate if i was to get one i would def want one that is that style real bonny face. ATB kie