Correct coat on a working dog

What are peoples thoughts if any? How important is it to have the correct coat on a working terrier, been to a couple of game shows and seen dogs being placed with coats stripped out with no top coat in front of other dogs, maybe not as smart but showing correct texture and type of coat ,I thought these are working shows not the pedigree fashion shows or are they?? :icon_redface:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with terrier 2, stripping shouldnt take the guard hairs out, take the thick undercoat out its alot more comfy for the dog in the summer months, and grows back nice and tight. we work the mountain ranges in the winter so a good coat is vital !

unless your meaning clipped out ? a no no imo .

dogrun

i USE a stripping comb for the under coat and the loose guard hairs will come out very easily by hand , yes i have stripped a few dogs by hand fellman .

i have had spaniels, for over 23 years, terriers, lurchers. i dont really show dogs, but i have noticed alot get clipped right down.

i know what i mean, but it doesnt always come across that way when i type it out lol

dogrun

Edited by dogrun

Some of my terriers do suffer in the worst of the winter weather. The breed that was developed as a worker in my area was the border... however I was put off the breed as they are ruled by posers and money. And i work mainly smooth coated terriers now.

Ive never been to a suposedly working terrier show where it wasnt 'spot the worker'... a damn shame, but shows will always apeal more to the show-offs than the workers. :thumbdown: I used to take one or two terriers to some local shows in the summer, but not any more... I hate feeling embarrased, being one of the only people without a pampered, unworked show pony prancing along on the end of the tightly held show leash... makes me sick. :(

Too many shave terriers these days, it does feck all for a dogs coat, makes it look and more to the point, perform much worse when it grows out.

If you want to take your dogs coat down, stripping is the only answer and then it takes someone expierienced to do it right.

To answer the first question, I recon the days of breeding coat type in a terrier are long gone, unfortunatley coat colour makes money and is still a valuable commodity...!

Once upon a time folk did look to breed a decent coat in working terriers, it wasn't the be all and end all, working ability was but they had to.

Dogs had to be able to withstand long days on winter fells, in all manner of conditions then seek and destroy foxes in freezing and soaking earths. Back then coat type really did matter.

I'm old enough to remember good fell types, particulary those with a fair bit of Border in their make up, with ultra hard jackets and skin underneith like a fecking Rhino, don't see many like that these days :no:

;)

I'm old enough to remember good fell types, particulary those with a fair bit of Border in their make up, with ultra hard jackets and skin underneith like a fecking Rhino, don't see many like that these days :no:

;)

They are the sort of old :notworthy: propper borders had a very thick skin, and some were difficult to scruff, so thick was the skin!!!

But, I still hunt the hills every winter, where the border terrier was origionally bred, and with dogs that have far less protection from the weather... maybe an outcross is needed for my blood, to help restore coat.

;)

They are the sort of old :notworthy: propper borders had a very thick skin, and some were difficult to scruff, so thick was the skin!!!

But, I still hunt the hills every winter, where the border terrier was origionally bred, and with dogs that have far less protection from the weather... maybe an outcross is needed for my blood, to help restore coat.

Thats them D&N, ain't seen type like that for years. I'd be careful with that outcross if I were you, Borders with hard jackets & thick skin may be difficult to find but with excellent working ability, harder still...! ;)