A Question Of Breeding

The Greyhound  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Are the bloodlines of the greyhound important in the make up of a lurcher,??

• Yes?
    • No?

A well bred grew is imo a better prospect than a greyhound to put speed into a lurcher.The smaller greyhounds tend to be less injury prone just going on exspeiriance.atb

OK so which line of greyhound would you use in the grews make up?

Y.I.S Leeview

most greyhounds are fast enough for lurcher breeding but not all would be game enough or determined enough for my liking, i like to see a greyhound for lurcher breeding doing a bit on big stuff if ya know what i mean. ;)

The above is the most sensible post on this topic, far to many greyhounds that are used to produce lurchers have not had there gameness tested. I think its safe to assume that the greyhound is fast enough but not all are game enough IMO for this reason I vote no.

Heard it all now.Some people just havent got a clue.Have you ever bread greyhounds.I have seen greyhounds kill outher dogs just for the sake of it.Tell you what put your dog in a pen with two greyhound that dont know it and then come out with that crap again.atb. Catcher 1

If your just gonna use any Greyhound for breeding then you might just as well say then that ANY Saluki,Collie,Bull,Whippet or whatever will also do? Bollox :o ,that's where i've being going wrong,should of went to the dog refuge and picked up a stray ;) ,if your happy to have moderate dogs (like me) then YES any Greyhound will do but champions and their kin are what you want pups from that's if you want the very best :D Like catcher1 said,Greyhounds have more than enough fire in their belly,unlike most lurchers they will KILL anything so saying they ain't game is ludicrous imo.All the best PP.

most greyhounds are fast enough for lurcher breeding but not all would be game enough or determined enough for my liking, i like to see a greyhound for lurcher breeding doing a bit on big stuff if ya know what i mean. ;)

The above is the most sensible post on this topic, far to many greyhounds that are used to produce lurchers have not had there gameness tested. I think its safe to assume that the greyhound is fast enough but not all are game enough IMO for this reason I vote no.

Heard it all now.Some people just havent got a clue.Have you ever bread greyhounds.I have seen greyhounds kill outher dogs just for the sake of it.Tell you what put your dog in a pen with two greyhound that dont know it and then come out with that crap again.atb. Catcher 1

so are you saying ALL greyhounds are game enough, if thats the case why havnt all the bullcross lads just got greys, i think you'll find timmy said NOT ALL GREYS are game enough, a mate had one and wouldnt look at fox, would chase them all day but didnt like been bitten, to me thats not game enough,

and i think you'll find putting a strange greyhound in with my 2 lurchers would end in the same way,as a dog in with 2 greys

personally i think gameness comes 1st, then good feet and physically soundness then speed

Guest joe ox

The only sensible thing written in the above post is "some people havnt got a clue" YOU obviously havnt judging by the other things you have written in the post :clapper: Dogs fighting in a kennel DOES NOT PROVE gameness you fool.

a big strong coursing one , not a flapping track sprinter , some of them sprinters when crossed to bull xs can make them sort of roach backed like the whippets , which in turn brings the size down , that greyhound that dave sleights got is the sort id use strong and flat backed , atb mr poach

I prefer small track greyhounds than large coursing greyhounds. The coursing greyhounds had to just turn the hare. It's all about speed for them. The dog that ran cunning lost. But in track racing there is a bit more intelligence work the dog has to do, to get in front of the other dogs. I prefer a cunning running greyhound. Some of the coursing greyhounds here in Ireland would be too heavy for what I would want.

Cunning = Intelligence

:thumbs:

Edited by cúagusgiorraí