just got my self an eos 20d with 18-15 lens im looking for a good lens to take photos of my hawk in action on all quarry has any one got any sergestions as the one on it at the moment has not the magnifaction for long distance shot

and what is your over all view on the eos 20d

i have been looking at this lens on ebay 650-1300mm Tele Lens for Canon EOS 50D 40D 30D 20D XT Item number: 300323819712

but would like some advice from members that have the know on camras

thanks atb wayne

Thats not for a lens mate its for a lens convertor, which you stick on an existing lens to up the zoom power, hope that helps

nope sorry i read the wrong item :icon_redface:

but it is a very high f stop value and would need a fair bit of light to work, and is manual focus only very hard for action shots.

Seems a strangely cheap lens for what it is, be a bit carefull imo.

Edited by nighttimenellie

Mr Froggit has hit the nail on the head. Good lenses seem expensive, but you do get what you pay for... Have a look at the Canon 75-300, the Canon 100-400L, or possibly the Sigma 50-500 lenses.

It depends how much you are prepared to spend really. Good telephoto lenses are expensive, and the good makes hold their price, so get the best you can afford. Some bargains can be had in the 70-300 mm range, and I wouldn't worry too much about IS (image stabilising) because if you are photographing birds in flight you'll need to use a fast shutter speed anyway.

Nothing wrong with a 20D - I've got some cracking action shots out of mine, although the kit lens that comes with it (18-55mmm) is not the best in the world...It would be criminal to put one of those nasty lenses off ebay on a 20D, and I don't think it would really be suitable for the job you have in mind. Maybe you could try some lenses at a camera shop so you can check the range and how much magnification you get at 300mm?

Good luck with your new camera :)