making rabbit / game meat tender

just thought i write this up....i came across this whilst hunting in africa

soaking any game meat in buttermilk (you can buy it in tesco) or natural yoghurt makes the meat very tender...the active enzymes start to break down the meat making in ery tender, you need to soak it for 3 days in the fridge, it will look gross when you pull it out but once washed off it will cook much more tender than usual. i tried wilderbeast and impala some soaked in butter milk and some not the differnce was shocking!

i then came home and tried it on venison and rabbit! the membrane than covers the rabbit becomes very supple and allows the meat to be alot more tender when cooked!

hope this is of help to everyone.

You can also make buttermilk yourself. Take a rinsed out milk carton, pour in a carton of double cream, put the lid back on and shake until you have butter. Pour the buttermilk out, rinse the butter under the tap to get the last of the buttermilk out. Then you have butter, and the buttermilk to try this with.

cheers langouroux,

I do make homemade butter sometimes (shopbought doesn't have a patch on it) and always wonder what to do with the buttermilk. I'll have to try this.

You can also make buttermilk yourself. Take a rinsed out milk carton, pour in a carton of double cream, put the lid back on and shake until you have butter. Pour the buttermilk out, rinse the butter under the tap to get the last of the buttermilk out. Then you have butter, and the buttermilk to try this with.

cheers langouroux,

I do make homemade butter sometimes (shopbought doesn't have a patch on it) and always wonder what to do with the buttermilk. I'll have to try this.

I didnt know you can make butter that easy! do you add salt after? how long do you usually have to shake it for?

cheers langouroux,

I didnt know you can make butter that easy! do you add salt after? how long do you usually have to shake it for?

Didnt know this either??

If you put double cream in a carton and shake it,then pour butter milk out?

I dont get that bit mate.

Guest Scuba1

You put the double cream in said bottle and shake it, after a little while the fat will start to separate from the cream and form growing lumps of butter.

The liquid that's left over afterwards is buttermilk.

ATB

Michael

You put the double cream in said bottle and shake it, after a little while the fat will start to separate from the cream and form growing lumps of butter.

The liquid that's left over afterwards is buttermilk.

ATB

Michael

Good man.

Didnt think its that easily made.

Thanks Michael,

yeah double cream, shake = buttermilk and butter. You can add salt but you don't have to. The more buttermilk is left in the quicker the butter will go off - if it isn't eaten before then. I usually sit in front of a favourite tv show and pass it back and forth between anyone who's in my house at the time. I've used a jamjar before heard the suggestion to use a milk plastic carton so it's easier to pour the buttermilk out. You then cut the top off to get to the butter. It first goes all solid, no liquid, and then slowly the buttermilk starts to seep out.

Seriously the best butter I've ever eaten.

• 3 weeks later...