my first buck from highseat

here is a picture of my first buck shot last night from my highseat,i put the seat up a while ago sat ther and waited but saw nothing got a bit dishearted so left it a while,went up ther last night sat ther for 45 mins and this chap was walking towards me from my left and wouldnt stop,he walked right under my feet and i was shaking like mad,he got about 30 yards past me and i whistled,he stoped turned and looked at me and i put the shot just under his chin and he dropped like a stone! well chuffed :) A question for u all,where is your preferd spot to place ur bullet?

Personally not have 100% confidence in my accuaracy neck shots out to 50 yards (I have taken them further) chest shots out to about 150 yards. If they are further than that I leave them unless I can get closer.

30 yards got to be a high neck everytime everything else being equal.

I know what you mean about geeting the shakes when a deer is close, I had one buck browsing 15 yards away but just behind the highseat, I dare not move as he was suspicious and occasionally looked up straight at me before carrying on feeding. Never did get the shot as he moved off feeding as he went but always behind a bush or tree, never came out onto the ride in front.

Edited by mudman

Both heart lung shots and neck/head shots have their place,but,it comes down to confidence.If you are confident,and,able skill wise to administer the neck/head shot you obviously don't get any meat damage,but,a clean kill is the most important thing,so,stay within your capabilities...............Martin.

Nice looking Buck there. I shot my 1st one last week, it was a chest shot, right through the heart. It did run off about 100yrds before it dropped. As it was my 1st I wouldn't shoot for the head or neck, but the gamekeeper I was with almost always takes head shots as he said they normally drop on the spot.

Nice shooting though. What part of the SW are you in?

Cheers, Neil

Well done tattooben.

I've spent countless hours up a highseat freezing me nuts off

and never got a shot off yet. Saw plenty walking under and

around me but nothing that presented itself nicely.

Nice story too!!

Cheers

sako243

here is a picture of my first buck shot last night from my highseat,i put the seat up a while ago sat ther and waited but saw nothing got a bit dishearted so left it a while,went up ther last night sat ther for 45 mins and this chap was walking towards me from my left and wouldnt stop,he walked right under my feet and i was shaking like mad,he got about 30 yards past me and i whistled,he stoped turned and looked at me and i put the shot just under his chin and he dropped like a stone! well chuffed :) A question for u all,where is your preferd spot to place ur bullet?

:clapper: Well done, Tattoben :clapper:

The first fallow buck i shot was from a high seat at 25yds/30yds and I neck shot him, dropped like a stone. I would need to be at 50yds or less to take them comfortably. I was helping a mate who has to sell the carcasses to make up his wages, so he neck shoots all his beasts if he can. I obliged. At sensible ranges, depending upon ability, i see nothing wrong with neck shots. Head shots are tricky, its the part of the deer that is always moving, and can easily lead to wounding. But if you are close enough, or good enough, fair play to you! I prefer mid neck or high neck to low neck shots, they seem to be dead on the spot.

Atb, ft