what the best thing to feed a pup

Hello Fella's Im picking me pup up Sunday, obviously not straight away but I like the idea of feeding her raw food several times a Week, but not sure as Ive always been told not to feed dogs, chicken, rabbit etc as the bones splinter and causes all sorts of problems...well how do fox's cope ??? I love the idea, of going out with the airgun and feeding her freshly shot rabbit cut in half...whole, your thoughts are greatly appreciated, Craig

Hello Fella's Im picking me pup up Sunday, obviously not straight away but I like the idea of feeding her raw food several times a Week, but not sure as Ive always been told not to feed dogs, chicken, rabbit etc as the bones splinter and causes all sorts of problems...well how do fox's cope ??? I love the idea, of going out with the airgun and feeding her freshly shot rabbit cut in half...whole, your thoughts are greatly appreciated, Craig

Craig, when the bones are raw they don't splinter too badly at all. A dog is a wolf as far as their digestive tract is concerned. Rabbit is a fantastic whole package. No need to skin or gut or cut in half - just feed whole (okay, maybe ration to begin with, but most dogs will self-regulate sooner or later when fed raw food, even the greedy eaters). Feed some fatty meat such as lamb trim or ox heart or pork trim and you'll be laughing. Happy healthy dog.

Dogs are designed to eat whole prey, the better we can mimic that the better for the dog.

hello chaps n gals i feed a varied diet of meat veg and complete food give the pup chicken stripped off the bone after boiling or any rabbits you get and use the juice too soften up the complete food my dogs love it with a few veg thrown in as well

Hello Stevie, Thanks for your advice, so the general concencus is that raw meat chicken, rabbit, etc inc bones is ok........see, when I was feeding my old gal bloody chappie, I used to look at it and think ffs, this looks like shite, but it's what the vet recommended as she got cystitus (rubbish spelling sorry) so Im putting a great deal of thought into me new pups diet, etc, thoughts greatly appreciated as I dont want to kill me dog with splintered bones in it's bowel !

Craig, if you look up rawfeddogs.net you'll see some very happy dogs chomping their way through some good proper food. All the dogs on there are fed Whole Prey Model, based on the fact that dogs are carnivores, the same species as wolves, and need whole prey to be best fed (failing that, what gets called frankenprey). There's a yahoo group called rawfeeding. It's international and you get a right old mix of everything from pampered pet to working dogs, but they'll support and help you get the diet right. You can even ask some of the hunting types on there how it works out with their dogs. We occasionally nick stuff from the dog's food supplies, but if a little corgi dog can chomp through ox ribs than your pup can manage with chicken and rabbit and whatever else you can get your hands on.

Ive fed the same for years,i use various types of meat,liver,heart,chicken,rabbit,hare,tripe,tounges and fish i boil these with various veg i put the gravy over my biscuit(beta greyhound) when it cool i had pasta and brown bread then the veg and meat and never ever had problems with the dogs stamina or conditioning they never cramp up,i give the dogs bones every couple of monthjust for there teeth,i run lurchers and greyhounds and theres no way i would improve these dogs if i fed a raw diet but end of the day you use what you think gives you and your dog the best results,sometimes youve got to try different ways to find whats the best for you

but end of the day you use what you think gives you and your dog the best results,sometimes youve got to try different ways to find whats the best for you

I do agree. I just came round to whole prey model when I figured that it's how wolves feed themselves and they need to be as fit as possible or they don't eat. Dogs don't need any kind of plant, grain or whatnot, they're not designed to digest it. Many dogs do fine with some in their diet, like yours obviously do, but many dogs also suffer from it (and from my POV the saddest thing is when the owners don't even notice that their dogs aren't best health because I've been there myself).