finally took the plunge

Word of warning mate, if your employer find your advert you may find yourself relying on it alot sooner than you might have liked!

Foxy

our employer actually knows most pesties do "privates" and advised us bout public liability insurances,

Word of warning mate, if your employer find your advert you may find yourself relying on it alot sooner than you might have liked!

Foxy

our employer actually knows most pesties do "privates" and advised us bout public liability insurances,

So your employer is giving its staff insurance advice on becoming a competitor???

Foxy

So your employer is giving its staff insurance advice on becoming a competitor???

....and allowing the use of the firms van and stock!! Wish my boss was so generous!!

Foxy

no mate, not giving, advising, and as for competitor, totally different, our firm sub contracts to london underground, us night workers dont do any domestic property, so me doing households in my area, 40 plus miles from my work, is not what Id call being in competition with them

and if anything, a disaplinary would come before dismissal, where I would argue my case, without blowing my own trumpet, the amount of certification needed to work on the underground in my position, is not got overnight, so would take a new employee a few months and a fair amount ££££'s outlay to the company to replace me, but if they wanted to sack me over it, it would be their loss, If I did'nt love being a pestie so much, I could walk into plenty of other underground related jobs tomorrow

....and allowing the use of the firms van and stock!! Wish my boss was so generous!!

nope, dont use the firms van, use my 4x4, as for stock, most of what Ive aquired has been destined for the skip

treatments last 3 or 4 visits, and at the end, the baits and BAIT STATIONS are lifted, all go in the bin, except mine, which are taken home and washed, and re used, just the boxes, not baits of course,

Foxy

no mate, not giving, advising, and as for competitor, totally different, our firm sub contracts to london underground, us night workers dont do any domestic property, so me doing households in my area, 40 plus miles from my work, is not what Id call being in competition with them

and if anything, a disaplinary would come before dismissal, where I would argue my case, without blowing my own trumpet, the amount of certification needed to work on the underground in my position, is not got overnight, so would take a new employee a few months and a fair amount ££££'s outlay to the company to replace me, but if they wanted to sack me over it, it would be their loss, If I did'nt love being a pestie so much, I could walk into plenty of other underground related jobs tomorrow

That might be so mate but if theres one thing ive learned in the industry over the years its that there is nobody from the new tech to the managing director who isnt dispensable, and i think if you told your employer about your intentions and advert they wouldnt be half as forgiving as you might think, especially if they are a big company. It doesnt matter what type of pest work or the location of it your doing it in, chances are if it is a big company your working for they do that work in that area which makes you a competitor, but hey if your so sure it wouldnt be a big deal, let your management know of your intentions tomorrow and let us know the outcome, the suspense is killing me already!

Foxy

I would hope that by the time the employers of a large org got wind, Stubby'd be most the way there.

Back to original post, prices - best way IMHO is to "mystery shop" other firms, see where the middle ground is. Then calculate where you are.

Allow your hourly rate (what you'd like to be paid per hr) likely costs of bits and bobs, travel, insurance, admin. Think you will surprise yourself as to what it does cost to go and do - then of course you need profit!

The way to work out what to charge is to start by working out what it costs to run your business, add whatever you expect to earn, and then, most importantly, some profit. That will give you an overall annual cost.

From that, you can then extrapolate a daily figure, and then, once you know roughly how many calls you expect to make in a day (don't forget that it won't be many to start with), and a minimum cost per call.

Forget what everyone else charges, and charge the right amount for you and your business.

When I first worked out my costs on my business plan, I worked off the basis of doing an average of four calls per day. In reality, some days its one or two, and others it's 7 or 8.

If you need help, you know where to find me Stubby.....

Hello Stubbs, start at £25/hour + call out charge + vat. Thats a good place to start, then adjust it as you see fit.

looks like Im too soft then, Id already rung around a few places, and had settled of most jobs being around £90, so 3 to 4 visits for rats/mice £90 all in, of course my first job was via word of mouth from the ladies guild talk I gave, little old lady plagued with mice, felt sorry for her, and gave her a 30% discount :angel: so £63 all in, but its only 2 minutes up the road, and may do me well in recomendations

let your management know of your intentions tomorrow and let us know the outcome, the suspense is killing me already!

christ foxy, your making yourself sound holly'er than thou :angel:

have I wronged you in a past life or something,

cheers matt,

Hello Stubbs, start at £25/hour + call out charge + vat. Thats a good place to start, then adjust it as you see fit.

looks like Im too soft then, Id already rung around a few places, and had settled of most jobs being around £90, so 3 to 4 visits for rats/mice £90 all in, of course my first job was via word of mouth from the ladies guild talk I gave, little old lady plagued with mice, felt sorry for her, and gave her a 30% discount :angel: so £63 all in, but its only 2 minutes up the road, and may do me well in recomendations

let your management know of your intentions tomorrow and let us know the outcome, the suspense is killing me already!

christ foxy, your making yourself sound holly'er than thou :angel:

have I wronged you in a past life or something,

cheers matt,

Wasnt meaning to sound holly'er than though stubby, just giving what i would consider good advice, this isnt the time to find yourself out of a job and piss off a large employer who could id imagine quite easily take you to the cleaners if they wanted to. Good luck with your venture though mate, i wish you all the best.

Foxy