finally took the plunge

some of you may know that I work for a large company, sub contracted to london underground to do their pest control, well apart from the odd private job here or there, I havent gone any further in trying to get my own work, well after a chat yesterday with another pestie, decieded it was time to take the plunge, and advertise in the local paper, the paper goes out to 51,000 homes, and starts tomorrow, paid for a months worth at £99, so fingers crossed it brings some work in, especially as the local council stopped doing pest control last year, and as Im the only pestie advertising, it gets its own main header.

am hoping eventually, that I could quit my job and become self employed,as lots of changes are happening within the company, which we will find out about come september, so want to cover all the odd's, my biggest downfall will be prices, as at the moment, private jobs are dealt with using my company stocked van, so I do tend to go in too cheap, and later regret it, of course I need to write up some sort of price list that I can stick too

anyone have any idea's or comments

things like, if you had a wasp nest, in a garden shed, would that be cheaper, than one in a roof space, as the roof one will take longer?

rodents/bait stations, would you inform the customer that its a min of 3 visits, first to bait,2nd to lift dead rodents/check baits, 3rd to remove baits and charge for the total three visits up front, or inform them, then charge per visit and await a phone call

Guest jt750

Be very upfront about your charges so the customer knows what he's getting and what he's paying for ..eg for bait stations say its going to be 3 visits minimum and that will be £x and for this you get x,x +x ..further visits will cost you £x each until as such times the problem is cleared. People hate hidden charges and extras put on top of their bills.If pest control was an exact science it would be easy but as it isn't and can carry on for a long time then at least people know what they are paying for and what they are getting.

Your price list should maybe say prices start from £x so if you go to a customer with a large wasp nest in his loft space you can give a quote (free ?) and say why its more expensive ..access size material cost etc ..Good Customer service is all about being up front and honest

ATB with your new venture hope it works well for you

stubby - presentation is everthing get some nice headed paper , business cards, and good clear invoices , follow up any verbal quotes with a written one in a square cut folder add further information in the folder couple of business cards flyer price list and a little about yourself how long you`ve been at it what areas you cover etc . allow some fuel money into your cost and price everything as if you where buying it even if it does come from work :whistling: .. comb your hair and put your teeth in when you visit customers :D ohh and good luck mate ..

have most of the above covered, our firm changed ownership, who in turned changed all our uniform for red stuff :angry:

of course, seeing that happen, I stock piled uniform and have polo shirts,sweat shirts,fleeces,body warmers and trousers etc coming out my earholes, in green, with the old company name, so will be quite easy for my missus to sew on a new embroided company name, as for the paperwork, again I already do all that when looking at new ferreting permissions, so its only really the "money" side I was stuck on,

thanks to those who have pm'd me,

I also did an evening talk few weeks back, at a ladies guild, was scared shitless as Id agree'd to do it last year, then forgot about it, anyway the evening came and I thoughly enjoyed it, and by all accounts, so did the ladies :yes: I was paid £25 for my time (1hr) and of course, gave a buisness card to everyone, then they asked if I'd mind, if they gave my details to other guilds for future talks