.308 as Fox Control Calibre

How likely would a .308 be passed for Fox Control Only  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How likely would a .308 be passed for Fox Control (1 - Very Unlikey, 5- Very Likley)?

I have been considering getting a .308 for fox control, but it seems that while poeple consider it an acceptable calibre to use, it would not be passed purely for fox control without deer control also being present. The main reason for wanting a .308 over somthing more suited to just fox control such as the .223, is that I hope to also use if for deer control in the future. Any feedback would be great. :)

308 and fox is OTT. 223 and 308 have the same trajectory only different bullit weights.

if yuor going deer shooting then geta deer calibre, if fox shooting then use a good fox calibre.

end of story.

Edited by clivej

223 and 308 don't have the same trajectory, 223 is some 600 fps quicker than 308.

The calibre for doing both is 243, I actually said very likely to your poll because I didn't read where you said you JUST wanted fox control on 308. It's pointless. The 308 is not intended, generally, for vermin control. The heavy bullets fly too slowly for decent flat trajectory, and the light ones have a crap BC and don't go out very far (again, not flat, anyway).

243 on the other hand kills every UK deer happily, and its fox control credentials are unquestioned. Calibre of choice, look no further.

I have been considering getting a .308 for fox control, but it seems that while poeple consider it an acceptable calibre to use, it would not be passed purely for fox control without deer control also being present. The main reason for wanting a .308 over somthing more suited to just fox control such as the .223, is that I hope to also use if for deer control in the future. Any feedback would be great. :)

Home Office guidelines for FEOs state categorically that a variation for .308 for fox control should not be granted. :no:

Ric

Guest busterdog

I was put of the 308 by our fire arms department, you can only shoot fox's whilst out stalking deer,therefor you can't intentionally look for fox only with the 308.

I use a .223 for fox and .243 for deer.

When applying for my FAC, during my chat with the FEO I asked about having a .308 for deer and fox. It was mainly for deer but i wanted to shoot foxes if a safe shot presented itself. He said, "NO!". So I went for the 6.5x55 which he would allow and does both splendidly, foxes out to 220yds so far.

I do however know someone who has a .308 for fox and deer, but this is not his only rifle and he has been shooting for many, many years. So I voted 2, unlikely (but not impossible).

I have been giving some serious thought to what rifles you actually need, opposed to what you want. I think in full bore you could get away with a .243 and a 30-06. 55gn to 100gn with the .243 and 110gn to 220gn with the 30-06, would just about cover every full bore need in the UK, and a plainsgame trip away ;) I am not going to be trading in my 6.5 any time soon though :D

ft

Home Office guidelines for FEOs state categorically that a variation for .308 for fox control should not be granted. :no:

Ric

Just seen that you and I are reading this right now. Further thought - you'll need DSC to get deer on your ticket so why not go for that now? That way you might get .308 for fox now on the understanding that you will be adding deer later. Worth asking - yer FEO can only say no!

Ric

Thanks everyone for your advice, it sounds like its not really an option to go for the .308 (for fox control only). I think i will apply for the .223 for fox control now, and apply for the .308 later, thank again!! :)

Edited by elvolcan

The .308 is not really a credible fox calibre, but unless you are hoping to shoot Red deer in the future, in my opinion it's not the optimum deer calibre either.

The real option for you is the the good old .243 Win, as much as is said about it most folks (including the police) don't realise that even this is not deer legal until you get into the 90Gr + bullet weights (don't tell them though, it's bad enough already).

My choice of the batch is the 25-06, fast without being overkill, I use a .270 Win for deer, but also use it for Vermin i.e. Fox, however I don't think you would get a grant for Fox on the strength of the above.

I previously had a 22.250 but when I got Deer permissions I changed to a single rifle i.e. .270 for both and this went through without a hitch.

I suggest you get a .243, then upgrade to your choice of Deer Legal when the time arrives.

The .308 is not really a credible fox calibre, but unless you are hoping to shoot Red deer in the future, in my opinion it's not the optimum deer calibre either.

The real option for you is the the good old .243 Win, as much as is said about it most folks (including the police) don't realise that even this is not deer legal until you get into the 90Gr + bullet weights (don't tell them though, it's bad enough already).

My choice of the batch is the 25-06, fast without being overkill, I use a .270 Win for deer, but also use it for Vermin i.e. Fox, however I don't think you would get a grant for Fox on the strength of the above.

I previously had a 22.250 but when I got Deer permissions I changed to a single rifle i.e. .270 for both and this went through without a hitch.

I suggest you get a .243, then upgrade to your choice of Deer Legal when the time arrives.

Last time I checked, 243 was deer legal in England with all bullet weights since you need 1700 ft lbs at the muzzle and 240 or more calibre. It is load dependent, but can easily be done with the light bullets too.

My region would not entertain .308 for "fox control" until last years ACPO ruling which basically said "if you have the calibre for Deer and bump into a fox you can use it...EVEN IF Fox is not listed on your FAC". Mine is listed for fox and deer but I can't envisage a situation I would take out the .308 specifically to hunt Charlie! .223 or .243 certainly come to hand first!

The grant of a .308 JUST for fox, is hopeful I suspect, anywhere in the uk.

Sounds to me like a .243 is a much better option, common for fox, and legal for all deer in the UK. Plenty of flatish shooting loads available so also a MUCH better long range fox tool than a .308. :thumbs:

yep, you'd definitely need proof of deer stalking as IMO, .308 will take moose so it's waaay overkill for a fox, so as I said, you'd need it on you ticket for deer first then fox second I would have though, so I think you'd only really be looking at anything in the 6mm-6.5mm range so .243, 6.5 grendel, 6.5x55 (this can be loaded with fox suitable bullets) .243 seems most likley as it's popular, and quite a lot of folk use it for foxes as well but the .308 will do less meat damage when you go to eventually shoot deer, but i'd be very surprised if your FEO lets ypu have a .308 expressly for shooting foxes....

Give us an update!

cheers

DB