bringing on the patterdale terrier

hi to all i young lad who has lurchers and has deciced to try the terrier game i have recentle bought a patterdale terrier about 16 mths old was told had done some work seems to go to ground ok can anyone help with any advise or ways to bring her on will upload some pics of her soon thanks

Hi rebel I would play around with her a bit to make sure she's ready to work game for real then begin hunting in ernest with her on the easiest game available to you and develop her from there. Nutria work well if you have access to them. In trying to see if she's ready for real hunting you could try buying some rats at the local pet shop and seeing if she will kill them. Begin as easy as you can and gradually make each kill more and more challenging until you have her really hunting for them and readily going deep into tight dens after the biggest, wildest rats you can get your hands on. After that, like I said, begin hunting in ernest and she will hopefully develop nicely for you. The best way to develop a young working dog in my opinion is to wait until they are ready and then give them an easy kill, but take it away as soon as the dog kills it and tease her to develop keenness for the next kill. After that work on there keenness to hunt and avoid pushing a slow maturing or low drive dog too fast as it develops. A dog like that may never become a good worker, but if it does it will probably only become a reliable worker after many months of slow careful work. I would kennel that type of dog and make hunting the only exciting thing in its life. A super high drive, high courage dog develops from 16 months easily and is very resilient to mistakes, taking them in stride with seemingly little or no ill effects, but a low drive, low courage dog can be tough to develop into a good worker. Good luck.

Guest rodsmith
Hi rebel I would play around with her a bit to make sure she's ready to work game for real then begin hunting in ernest with her on the easiest game available to you and develop her from there. Nutria work well if you have access to them. In trying to see if she's ready for real hunting you could try buying some rats at the local pet shop and seeing if she will kill them. Begin as easy as you can and gradually make each kill more and more challenging until you have her really hunting for them and readily going deep into tight dens after the biggest, wildest rats you can get your hands on. After that, like I said, begin hunting in ernest and she will hopefully develop nicely for you. The best way to develop a young working dog in my opinion is to wait until they are ready and then give them an easy kill, but take it away as soon as the dog kills it and tease her to develop keenness for the next kill. After that work on there keenness to hunt and avoid pushing a slow maturing or low drive dog too fast as it develops. A dog like that may never become a good worker, but if it does it will probably only become a reliable worker after many months of slow careful work. I would kennel that type of dog and make hunting the only exciting thing in its life. A super high drive, high courage dog develops from 16 months easily and is very resilient to mistakes, taking them in stride with seemingly little or no ill effects, but a low drive, low courage dog can be tough to develop into a good worker. Good luck.

rats?? the dogs 16mths old.the lad may want it as an earth dog.the way your advising sounds as though the terrier wont be ready for earth work until its 3yr old. :hmm:

Guest rodsmith

rats?? the dogs 16mths old.the lad may want it as an earth dog.the way your advising sounds as though the terrier wont be ready for earth work until its 3yr old. :hmm:

R you for real or what.. Buy some rats from your local pet store, you want to get a grip of yourself saying things like that. How much of a tube are you..

listen rebel, is there no-one that you know that diggs, mybe you could ask whoever you got the dog of to take you out and show the dog something. personnally I wouldnt work the dog until its around 2 year old but from around 16 months mybe show it a dead-end but if the dog is already going to ground then your best bet is to just go out and try handy holes that you know. Dont listen to this joker anyway about buying some rats from your pet store he wants a good kick up the rear end for even thinking things like that :blink: let alone writing them, jesus.

what a f*****g plank.whats testing about pet shop rats.do your own thing mate,dont take notice of this fool.try to keep him busy with a few rats or mink till the season starts.then try him to ground.a 6 month old pat will kill rats.
My suggestions will not do a bit of harm and will see if the dog is ready to start. Of course going out with an experienced hunter is better, but not everyone has that option. No need to get rude guys.

your sugestion will do a lot off harm im afraid if nothing else he will lose his dogs to the authorities.

My suggestions will not do a bit of harm and will see if the dog is ready to start. Of course going out with an experienced hunter is better, but not everyone has that option. No need to get rude guys.

your sugestion will do a lot off harm im afraid if nothing else he will lose his dogs to the authorities.

must agree with hd its classed as baiting as regards to getting rats from your local pet store you plank :wallbash: rebelstorm your best bet is to find a local chicken/pig farm and bolt afew for the young dog he will soon click on ;)

Guest rodsmith

will harm the mans pocket.them pet shop rats are £6 round here,besides,why not trap his own..from your suggestions,sounds like yuo done alot of entering and working terriers,NOT!!!!!!!!!!

will harm the mans pocket.them pet shop rats are £6 round here,besides,why not trap his own..from your suggestions,sounds like yuo done alot of entering and working terriers,NOT!!!!!!!!!!

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::big_boss: we not being rude mate,if you dont know,keep quiet :tongue2:

the easiest way to enter your dog, if he already goes to ground would be to try him in a false earth, i.e clay pipes with two entrances, 1 at each end of a tunnel, with a chamber in middle, lot,s of these still knocking about in woods. if he has anything about him he will do the rest himself 95% of the time, if there,s any fox at home it bolt fairly easy from opposite end to where you enterd him, ask the guy yougot him off if he knows of any false earths near you, good luck!!!