.222 sako mmm shall I

Hey

Looking for a fox specific not to pricey, had a .222 put on my ticket months ago as local shop has stacks of ammo and a cheap sako that he had on the shelf since it was made, (reason for that?) just wondered what the consensus was and weather i should go 22.250,

Cheers guys

:drink:

Hey

Looking for a fox specific not to pricey, had a .222 put on my ticket months ago as local shop has stacks of ammo and a cheap sako that he had on the shelf since it was made, (reason for that?) just wondered what the consensus was and weather i should go 22.250,

Cheers guys

:drink:

222 fine bud iv got a bruno and it makes a fine mess of them.

.222 Great round for 'The Reynard', noisy like anything else that isn't a .22 rimfire.

The .222 is an OK choice, but you will HAVE to reload in the future so get used to the idea, also if you have a .22 RF now, brace yourself for the cost of centrefire ammo. NOT FUNNY scorching bunnies on the way back to the car at £1.20 a pop is your choice!!

Also in relation to the 22.250, you may regard that .222 and .223 use SMALL rifle primers, everything else .22.250 .243 and up use LARGE rifle primers (so what! I hear you say),

Deer is what I say, maybe for you its only fox etc today, but any .222/.223 is not deer legal, but a 6mm (.243) is, and is also a (Police) acceptable fox round, so my advice is get a .243 right from the start.

AF

.222 Great round for 'The Reynard', noisy like anything else that isn't a .22 rimfire.

The .222 is an OK choice, but you will HAVE to reload in the future so get used to the idea, also if you have a .22 RF now, brace yourself for the cost of centrefire ammo. NOT FUNNY scorching bunnies on the way back to the car at £1.20 a pop is your choice!!

Also in relation to the 22.250, you may regard that .222 and .223 use SMALL rifle primers, everything else .22.250 .243 and up use LARGE rifle primers (so what! I hear you say),

Deer is what I say, maybe for you its only fox etc today, but any .222/.223 is not deer legal, but a 6mm (.243) is, and is also a (Police) acceptable fox round, so my advice is get a .243 right from the start.

AF

Makes a fair bit of sense but I run a .223 and a .243..and a .308 ...and they all have their uses, so perhaps no great need to rush out and get a .243...but I would not even consider a .222 today unless I intended to reload, it's a fine calibre but ammo is getting harder to find and more expensive, VERY little is chambered in .222 today! :thumbs:

Ultimately all centrefires work on fox. The only consideration is therefore do you want to shoot deer or rabbits with it too? If yes to deer, then 243, no question. Rabbits are OK but you will need to reload because £1 to £1.50 a bunny is silly money.

I would avoid .222 now, .223 is so much more popular and with good reason - it is a bit faster and flatter, though only slightly. I have no beef with .222, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one.

22-250 is a good round, especially for fox. Yes, it does use a large rifle primer but hey ho! They're bloody cheap anyway. Always worth a butcher's, and would make more sense in England if the law for roe was slightly more sensible.

And SS, yep, the 50gr BK does work very well. Not shot Charlie for a while, but the latest load of 24.7gr N130, 50gr BK in Nosler custom brass works very well on teh bunny. Especially for stir fry...

7% is very important :D

Why?.

22.250 is very noisy without a mod, recoil unless you have a very heavy set up usually prevents seeing bullet impact and that extra powder use reduces barrel life. Been there, got the tee shirt, sold the rifle.

223 will kill at 300 yards in ideal conditions, you wont be going much further than that normally. If you are going to reload then a 20 (204 Ruger) makes a bit more sense, shoots a bit flatter and hits a bit harder than 223.

A

7% is very important :D

Why?.

22.250 is very noisy without a mod, recoil unless you have a very heavy set up usually prevents seeing bullet impact and that extra powder use reduces barrel life. Been there, got the tee shirt, sold the rifle.

223 will kill at 300 yards in ideal conditions, you wont be going much further than that normally. If you are going to reload then a 20 (204 Ruger) makes a bit more sense, shoots a bit flatter and hits a bit harder than 223.

A

Don't mention the .204 to Mr L, look back at his topics on the bloody thing first!

As I am new here then I am not aware of peoples history here but no doubt their views on a given subject have been aired on other boards. I have recently had a discusion elsewhere on the merits of 20s against a guys 22.250AI, maybe Mr L is the same guy. In fairness he did give 204 a fair crack but could not get them to shoot, it happens with all calibers, I could not get my 22.250 top go below .8 moa usually although I only tried a couple of powders.

Early load development work this week with my 20BR gave groups in the mid .3s & .4s with ALL loads between 28 and 31 grains going into a group no bigger than .7, this is though a custom single shot heavy rifle but the bag set up was far from ideal.

A