buying bullet heads

right ive rung my licensing department and they say that my dealer was correct to do what he did. they have asked me to send in the certificate and they will change it to buy 200 hold 240 which is good but i will definitely be buying some rounds before i send it off. im also waiting on my rifle which will be in the dealers by tuesday so ill probably send it off then

Oh dear!

Your shopkeeper is a knob, as previously stated the 60 buy hold 100 appplies ONLY to loaded ammo, the reason it's 60 and 100 is because nearly all factory centrefire ammo comes in boxes of 20, and 60/100 divides nicely by 20.

In fact your granny can buy 1,000's of FMJ bullet heads in all the calibres and all the weights that his shop has without any authority at all, you can even have them posted to you. (Doh! Mr Homer Gunshop man)

Shop somewhere else if I were you, if he doesn't understand basic stuff like that what other 'howlers' has he up his sleeve?

AF

Andy, I think if you read the thread and what is written on our certificates (ie; "2. Ammunition including expanding ammunition and expanding missiles") it is self explanatory. We are limited in relation to all ammunition for our rifles. Not just expanding ammo. Not everyone is as fortunate as you say you are. Different Firearms Dep'ts have different wording that they apply to licenses.

And the gundealer is not a "knob" or a "homer". He has just read the certificate and abided by its conditions. And yes I could order a 1000 or more FMJ's over the internet, but I would be breaking the terms and conditions of my FAC. I want to keep my license thanks, and If I were you, I should try not to advise people to break their terms and conditions on their FAC's :no: You could get someone in trouble :o

ft

While some of your comments are fair enough, you would NOT be breaking your FAC terms if you bought thousands of FMJ heads. They are Unrestricted, they do not require a firearm certificate to purchase or store.

You would only break FAC terms if you loaded all of them at once.

Hi im in Angus Scotland under taypolice & they changed 5-6yrs ago to the fact that you can only but bullet heads as to the amount on your ticket to purchase/aquire. we used to be able to buy as much & what we liked then over night they changed the law & we had to go to our local RFD & give them heads to hold for us as we were over our maximum to hold at anyone time. I work a 22.250 & 25/06 & can buy 200 hold 300 for each cal. Arveyboy you can buy a box of 100 heads but your RFD Can only give you 60 out of it then next day you can go in & get the rest as said either do as i said or buy 60 made ammo then send your FAC in to get amended & i would go for buy 100 & possess 240 or that so you can if you want to buy 100 heads in 70g-87g varmint loads & buy/store 100 95g-100g heads for deer etc.

While some of your comments are fair enough, you would NOT be breaking your FAC terms if you bought thousands of FMJ heads. They are Unrestricted, they do not require a firearm certificate to purchase or store.

You would only break FAC terms if you loaded all of them at once.

Mr Logic, that is not how West Mercia see it. That is why they have used their wording very carefully, "Ammunition including expanding ammunition and expanding missiles. It is something I have asked my FEO about! They have phrased it to mean all ammunition + expanding, and that is what they expect us to abide by. If you can give me some legal basis for them being totally wrong I would love to have it :unsure:

Yours hopefully, ft

I'm trying to remember which Act made it a legal process to produce an FAC to purchase Expanding heads and primers.

I'm almost certain its the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 ;)

Have a read through the points in that Act in relation to Ammunition, I think you'll find that Mr Logic is correct in relation to FMJ ammunition and that it is unrestricted. However if WMP decide to word their Certificates that way, it is something to take up with their Licensing Department Manager ;)

Your FEO is wrong. Fmj heads are not ammunition, nor are they expanding missiles. How does your fac cover them?

This process is not up for negotiation by police forces, it is enshrined in law, which they cannot overrule. Expanding ammunition and the missiles for it were made Section 5, but our FAC condition permits ownership. Non-expanding missile were not included and are therefore not covered by the firearms acts.

Prohibited ammunition: expanding ammunition and missiles for expanding ammunition

9. General prohibition of expanding ammunition etcIn section 5(1A) of the 1968 Act (weapons and ammunition subject to general prohibition), for paragraph (f) there shall be substituted the following paragraph—

“(f)any ammunition which incorporates a missile designed or adapted to expand on impact;â€.

10. Expanding ammunition etc.: exemptions from prohibition

(1)Section 5A of the 1968 Act (exemptions from requirement of authority under section 5) shall be amended as follows.

(2)In subsection (4) (shooting of animals)—

(a)after the word “acquireâ€, in the first place it appears, there shall be inserted the words “, or to sell or transfer,â€; and

(b)for paragraphs (a) and (B) there shall be substituted the following paragraphs—

“(a)he is authorised by a firearm certificate or visitor’s firearm permit to possess, or purchase or acquire, any expanding ammunition; and

(b)the certificate or permit is subject to a condition restricting the use of any expanding ammunition to use in connection with any one or more of the following, namely—

(i)the lawful shooting of deer;

(ii)the shooting of vermin or, in the course of carrying on activities in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife;

(iii)the humane killing of animals;

(iv)the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.â€.

(3)For subsection (7) (firearms dealers) there shall be substituted the following subsection—

“(7)The authority of the Secretary of State shall not be required by virtue of subsection (1A) of section 5 of this Act for a person carrying on the business of a firearms dealer, or any servant of his, to have in his possession, or to purchase, acquire, sell or transfer, any expanding ammunition or the missile for any such ammunition in the ordinary course of that business.â€.

The above is the extract from the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 which made it illegal to possess, acquire or sell expanding ammunition apart from the exemptions listed above. There is no mention, or restriction to Non-expanding Ammunition in this Act or any other. It is still unrestricted, and is not covered by a Firearms Certificate as Mr L has said. If it is not mentioned in these Acts then a Firearm Certificate cannot cover it as the FAC itself, exists because of these Acts.

The VCR Act only covers the sale of Primers, it does not cover Expanding ammunition. ;)

Sportingshooter and Mr Logic, many thanks for the splendid info. I was wrong :oops: My apologies to the both of you :notworthy:

I will have a chat with Mark, our local FEO and see if I can make his boss see reason.

Atb, ft

Sportingshooter and Mr Logic, many thanks for the splendid info. I was wrong :oops: My apologies to the both of you :notworthy:

I will have a chat with Mark, our local FEO and see if I can make his boss see reason.

Atb, ft

Credit to Mr L for this one :thumbs:

You weren't "wrong" just given wrong info by the people who are meant to be enforcing the law! No need for apologies buddy ;)

Atb, ft

You weren't "wrong" just given wrong info by the people who are meant to be enforcing the law! No need for apologies buddy ;)

Just one last point. Why not buy say 40 rounds of factory ammo. Put 20 through to bed in the barrel, 20 to zero the scope. Then you'll have 40 fire-formed cases to start rolling yer own.

Ric

Atb, ft

Just one last point. Why not buy say 40 rounds of factory ammo. Put 20 through to bed in the barrel, 20 to zero the scope. Then you'll have 40 fire-formed cases to start rolling yer own.

Ric

would have been nice if i hadn't already sent off my certificate. my rifle isnt being sent until Monday so im guessing a couple of days transit. the licensing department said they would be very quick about it. cheers for the thought though.

Guest hyperion
how utterly confusing!

cheers

hyperion

Such is Firearms Law hyp ;)

seems crazy to me!

why not have one standard procedure for the whole country??

the more i look into all this guff about getting my F.A.C the more it seems to me that both the goverment and the local police forces just make it up as they go along!

cheers

hyperion

how utterly confusing!

cheers

hyperion

Such is Firearms Law hyp ;)

seems crazy to me!

why not have one standard procedure for the whole country??

the more i look into all this guff about getting my F.A.C the more it seems to me that both the goverment and the local police forces just make it up as they go along!

cheers

hyperion

"Ye know too much" :D