Built my first hutch

Well finished it yesterday, i think it will be okay,

post-24813-1242210992.jpg

i have a few questions though:-

1 - Will they be ok out in the winter months? :unsure:

2 - How many should i have in each part? I was thinking of getting two jills & one hob :unsure:

3 - Can they all stay together until the Jills come into season? :unsure:

As you can guess i have not kept Ferrets before, always went out with mates, i have read a few books recently so hopefully all will go well

don't want to put a downer on a really nice cage, but is that EML (expanded metal lathe) on the bottom two sections, reason I ask, used to work with the stuff, as its punched out on a die machine, the inside edges of each hole/split in unfinished, used to cut my hands to buggery, could slice a ferts toe straight off

don't want to put a downer on a really nice cage, but is that EML (expanded metal lathe) on the bottom two sections, reason I ask, used to work with the stuff, as its punched out on a die machine, the inside edges of each hole/split in unfinished, used to cut my hands to buggery, could slice a ferts toe straight off

Thanks for the comments.

Stubby not sure what the mesh is on the bottom came via a third party, i can run my hands around it without getting cut and where i have cut it I have used a file to remove the burrs.

the hole/slit is made by it getting punched, then its pulled apart, so each hole/slit is potentially very sharp, also as ferts love to climb, having the mesh that way around, means the thinnest point of the "diamond shape" is at the bottom, if you imagine a claw/toe in a hole, with a fert hanging on, the toe will get drawn down into the mesh, a bit like a gullotine, I would advise taking it off and turning it 45 degrees, so the diamond shape runs left to right, thus wider on the bottom...

failing that replace it, Ive got spare mesh here if you need some

Nice job and have to agree with comments on the mesh.

As for keeping hobs and jills together no prob but make sure you seperate well before the 'season' shows on the jills.

I missed mine this year and got a litter of 9 for my troubles!

Nice hutch just check the mesh and if your not happy seems about the size of a portocabin window ;) and thats good quaility weld mesh .seems a good size for two jills and a hob just watch he's not marking them up too much and it should be fine