your opinion

just wondering lads ive heard it from some folks that you dont run/work a dog untill its such an age i have a pup its 6 months and i cant hold it back he is a demon mad as a hatter just wants to do his job now do you surprese that or let him go my opinion is slip the young upstart and let him do what comes natural to him i think its the making of a great dog i hope whats your thoughts on this give me some feed back

if the dogs screaming to go i say let him befor he gets frustrated but its close season now so wait till next season be ready then

concontrate on getting him fit and retiving and jumping why its close season then let him do his job in september

Guest lamping356

i have a saluki x hound first cross....standing at 19 inches only four months and wont see a rabbit till next year the earlier you run them damage can be done so that is why he will be running late.... :good: :good: :good: :good:

i have a saluki x hound first cross....standing at 19 inches only four months and wont see a rabbit till next year the earlier you run them damage can be done so that is why he will be running late.... :good: :good: :good: :good:

i start my dogs around 9 r 10 months old depending on how mature d dog is for his age so i would say hold off till a start of d season then he will be devoleped more and be more eager 2 get them bunnys patience is d key mate.

mate ive had my two pups out over the fields sence they were 10weeks old.... i might add that they werent getting alot of walking just free running threw the fields sporting with each other and chasing birds.... they are 6months old now and are showing great interest in chaseing and sniffing about cover....they arent getting slipped onto anything but if a rabbits gets up and runs they will chase... they dont learn anything on a lead or locked in a kennel... my mate also has a 8month old whippet and his is going threw cover like nobodys business and is hunting up itself and caught its first rabbit in cover at 7months...

mate ive had my two pups out over the fields sence they were 10weeks old.... i might add that they werent getting alot of walking just free running threw the fields sporting with each other and chasing birds.... they are 6months old now and are showing great interest in chaseing and sniffing about cover....they arent getting slipped onto anything but if a rabbits gets up and runs they will chase... they dont learn anything on a lead or locked in a kennel... my mate also has a 8month old whippet and his is going threw cover like nobodys business and is hunting up itself and caught its first rabbit in cover at 7months...

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

just wondering lads ive heard it from some folks that you dont run/work a dog untill its such an age i have a pup its 6 months and i cant hold it back he is a demon mad as a hatter just wants to do his job now do you surprese that or let him go my opinion is slip the young upstart and let him do what comes natural to him i think its the making of a great dog i hope whats your thoughts on this give me some feed back

i started mine at nine months collie grayhound but i would pick her runs try give her the easy rabbits and dont give her too many runs take it easy because if they get frustrated by not catching they will open up and start to yap thats the last thing you want in a dog uve put all your time into i would probably leave it till septembre good luck

thanks for the comments lads its all good advice ive a few dogs and work them all but this young one is different like a steam train il hold him back but il post some pics when i learn how 2 im new to this computer thing im from the time when you counted with beads fs. cheers to the guys that posted :signthankspin:

Guest MickyB

I had my bull/grey killing stuff at that age, but not running the lamp, too young for the dog to be running hard.... but if keen and game enough will be ok to get stuck in to game.

Ive a collie lurcher now at 8 months, she tags along on ferreting trips but i net up well and she may get the odd squeeker, but nowt serious. at the end of the day better wait if in doubt, as the dog will not lose interest if the breedings there.

fair play mickey you always know your own dogs and how far to let them go at that age i bred this pup from the best working dog ive ever had i kept 3 pups and they are stunning pups but this one demom is his name just wants to go big time a real firey type il post photos as soon as i can of all my team

hes old enough mate ive always got my dogs chasing between 6-8 months they have all turn out fine