whippets for rabbits

Guest gaz100604
yes totally agree with your point mate..

too many keep there dogs locked in runs from mon-fri and expect them to do the biz on the weekend...

no matter what running dog you have or what breed is in them if you put in 100% into the dog then even if he is not from the best working stock around should still give you 100% in the field even if that means he catching half a dozen rabbits....

the state jacko got his whippet does not surprise me...

and i do feel the comments on whippets can be a bit unfair as people go by what they see in that they look skinny n all that when actually after a har season with my fella he never picked up a knock...

and that was lamping and ferreting between 3-5 times every week and road walked every day...

you get out what you put in regardless the breed imo.

You can't beat roadwork to keep the dogs toned up throughout the season. keeps the feet in good fettle too.

YUP,

SPOT ON MALLY :thumbs:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theirs nowt wrong with a well bred whippet seen a few over the years and worked down the pit with a lot of lads who kept them its nice to see they are still worked. They seemed to go out of fashion from the 80s to the late 90s [bANNED TEXT] hare coursing was all the rage in my erea anyway.atvb

Spot on Frank and a few others, you only get out what you put in, through last winter lampin regulary, brought my whippet to his peak, fitness wise, and he was certanily not blowin on 3 (in fact id be ashamed of myself if he was) these little warriors have surprised a few people who see a fit workin whippet in the field.

some lovely looking whippets there,I HEARD THAT AFTER ABOUT 3 RUNS ON THE LAMP THEY GET REAL TIRED,BUT I HOPE I CAN GET THEM USED TO FERRETS AT THE AGE OF 8 MONTHS,THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP :clapper::thumbs:

get em used to ferrets now give the dog loads of road work that'll sort out the stamina issue. I heard that someone trained a Saluki to retreive once huh! the things you hear!

Guest anonymous
some lovely looking whippets there,I HEARD THAT AFTER ABOUT 3 RUNS ON THE LAMP THEY GET REAL TIRED,BUT I HOPE I CAN GET THEM USED TO FERRETS AT THE AGE OF 8 MONTHS,THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP :clapper::thumbs:

get em used to ferrets now give the dog loads of road work that'll sort out the stamina issue. I heard that someone trained a Saluki to retreive once huh! the things you hear!

I'd need to see that to believe it!!! :unsure:

Aye! me'n a'! ;)

Guest anonymous

Aye! me'n a'! ;)

Did you read it in one of them old poaching books? Boy do they exaggerate in them............ :rolleyes:

i had a bitch from mike brown called judy, i lined her with mikes glen and kept a dog back from the litter,he is 2 now and is a really handy rabbit dog with stamina too, no bother at all. he has an excellent nose and hunts up rabbits all day. he,s not the fastest of whippets but he gives 100% every time and has a real good head on his shoulders.he as also ran on some harsh ground and has never had an injury yet,(touch wood)lol. he is a pleasure to own and a real loyal dog

post-14253-1241807702_thumb.jpg

post-14253-1241807835_thumb.jpg

post-14253-1241808540_thumb.jpg

Always fancied a whippet. Has the KC wasted them?

NO! if you wanted to pay over bloated K.C. prices you could still get you're expensive puppy working, but why bother? you can pick up peds and non peds for less money, breeders ruin breeds by their adherence to badly interpreted rules. The K.C merely set a standard, and the so called expert judges do the rest. that being said my first Whippet was awarded first place in a hunt supporters show despite having lost part of his ear in a fight with a barbedwire fence! the picture is my new nonped racing whippet

post-25618-1241808770_thumb.jpg

Guest anonymous
i had a bitch from mike brown called judy, i lined her with mikes glen and kept a dog back from the litter,he is 2 now and is a really handy rabbit dog with stamina too, no bother at all. he has an excellent nose and hunts up rabbits all day. he,s not the fastest of whippets but he gives 100% every time and has a real good head on his shoulders.he as also ran on some harsh ground and has never had an injury yet,(touch wood)lol. he is a pleasure to own and a real loyal dog

post-14253-1241807702_thumb.jpg

post-14253-1241807835_thumb.jpg

post-14253-1241808540_thumb.jpg

What height is he? Is that a lurcher to the left? Looks quite big.

Aye! me'n a'! ;)

Did you read it in one of them old poaching books? Boy do they exaggerate in them............ :rolleyes:

Yes it might have been, let me think, oh yes it was called 'tales of a lying old b*****d who cornered a gullible twat in a pub once' I think