Crosman 2240 Proves Itself

I acquired a Crosman 2240 CO2 pistol last year, in .22. Then I pimped it for use as a ratting/short-range vermin gun, in response to a rat problem in the chicken shed, adding a stock, silencer adapter, silencer and a Hawke Sport Dot sight.

2240HawkeS.jpg

So far, the only thing it's shot is a trapped rat in a cage, since Ratty was kind enough to sign his own death warrant a few days ago.

RatTrapDead.jpg

Now though, we have a bird feeder that sits on the lawn, about four yards in front of the kitchen windows, and about eight yards from our utility room window. I zeroed the pistol at eight yards the other day, and it made one big hole with JSB Exact Jumbo Express, 5.52mm, 14.35 grains. At 15 yards it was still grouping nicely, at under an inch.

The magpies like to raid the birdfeeder, and have been getting more cheeky of late. There are lots of songbird fledglings around at the moment, so its only fair to give them a chance, too.

Today, one was pecking around the base of the birdfeeder, so I crept into the utility room, grabbed the already-loaded pistol, and tried telepathy to make him take a few incautious steps to my left, more in front of the small window. Finally, he wandered my way, turned his back, paused, and I centered the dot between his shoulders. Six foot-pounds of energy at eight yards is more than enough... Murgatroyd never knew what hit him.

Maggie2240.jpg

Maggie%2022402.jpg

• Like 4

Cracking little pistol CH

and nice shooting to

I was just sitting last night listening to the song birds when all of a sudden they all stopped and on looking around saw a magpie darting in and out of the hedge line as if it was looking for nests the fecker did not stay still long enough to get a shot away so i fired any way to scare it off

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

Aye, it does what it says on the tin! Not the most powerful shooter in the world, but at close range, it does the business.

I've seen magpies grabbing and killng fledgling blackbirds the last two years, and last year they even started stealing hens' eggs from out of the chicken shed, so I decided it's time for some population control -- I now shoot 'em on sight, if I'm in reach of a weapon. :thumbs:

• Like 1

:thumbs:

I love my king ratcatcher. Few years back I used to be out and about a lot and I took a fair bit with it. ferals, corvids and the odd opportunistic rabbit at suitable range.